Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Day 45: Herkimer, NY to Latham, NY (Albany)

The observation for today: never underestimate the power of the weather bubble. Weather forecast was for heavy thunderstorms, gusty winds, etc. I deployed the rain jacket, rain resistant bibs, rain socks and shower cap. Off we went under very threatening skies, so dark I had to wear my regular glasses and put my sunglasses in my pocket. Sure enough, about 2 miles from the hotel it started to rain lightly....so, 62 degrees and raining. Just the way we like it....
However, after about an hour of this, it stopped, the skies started to clear, the humidity went up to 150%, and I had a rear flat....nice....a big chunk of glass embedded in my tire. By the time I changed that I was filthy, in addition to being wet, and the bike was even more filthy from road spray and grit. By the time we got to the 40 mile SAG, the sun was out.
We went through the Mohawk Valley today but unfortunately we couldn't see much. Heavily leafed trees lined both sides of the road so we couldn't see out. We did get a glimpse of the Erie Canal here and there, but that was about it. Only about 2200 feet of climbing, which was good as the next two days are heavy climbing days.
We are all discussing the end of the ride now...everyone is ready to be finished. So meal conversations center around various iterations of how we are feeling...it is interesting to hear the various perspectives.
No pictures today..not much to see. We cross into Vermont tomorrow. Only 2 more days of riding Wednesday and Thursday and then the ceremonial ride to the ocean on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment