Sunday, June 7, 2015

Day 29: Kirksville, MO to Quincy, IL

A relatively short day today at 79 miles, less climbing (only 2273 feet), and no super steep hills. It was a good thing too because my legs are still tired form the last two days of climbing all those rollers. It was very humid today and some of the riders from cooler climates seemed to suffer a bit more. The big event of the day was crossing the Mississippi River and entering Illinois. We sprinkled our sand but not with a lot of fanfare as everyone was hot and sweaty and we were only a few miles from the hotel.
Injury update: Joanne is riding the last two days and doing okay, so we are all happy for her.
A bit of sad news: Roomie Maggie and I are splitting up...she cannot tolerate air conditioning and it was okay up until the last week or so as the weather was cooler, but now it is hot and humid, so going forward we will have our own rooms.
I also made the decision to get my gearing changed in Champaign, Illinois on the rest day. I have contacted a bike shop there that is well known to one of the riders (he lives nearby). They are ordering the parts and will get it done for me that day. Sorry no pictures tonight...the Internet is giving me fits. Will try tomorrow.
On to Springfield.... a mere 107 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment