Thursday, June 18, 2015

Day 38: Wooster, OH to Niles, OH or, Can I really go 90+ miles again today?

I haven't written the blog for several days and there is a reason for that. It is called T-I-R-E-D.
After we left the rest day in Champaign, IL we had 3 days of moderate distances (81, 61, 73) and very little climbing.. hey, life was good! The fourth day out we had a long century day to Marysville, OH (105) but not too much climbing (only2277) and no headwinds. Then all the fun started. The fifth day was essential another century (98.5) but with 3717 of climbing. OK, now the legs are talking to me. Still, things were not too bad. Now the sixth day out. Essentially another century (94) and 3690 of climbing. Legs are screaming...what the &@#¥&@!!! To add insult to injury, at the first SAG we had a light drizzle and I thought, well...I COULD get my rain jacket off the truck. BUT, no. It was so hot and humid, I thought I would just sweat underneath the jacket....this was a bad decision. About 3 or 4 miles past the SAG....torrents of rain. No thunder or lightning, but that was the only good part. I did have a shower cap in my saddle bag so I put that on under my helmet which kept my head warm and dry. I think it poured for about an hour and a half, then it started to clear up but we had a cool, more north, wind....now we are freezing. Just the way we like it????....So now you think, the worst is over.
BUT, no. I dropped my chain on a right hand turn with an immediate uphill....almost fell over because of the grade, managed to unclip and stop but found that the chain was REALLY jammed...not just a little, either. Peter and I wrestled with it for a awhile, finally decided to call for SAG support, and by the time they came and we got it fixed, we lost maybe an hour, and still had over thirty miles to go. By the time we got to the hotel, still half wet, dirty from wrestling with the chain and DOG TIRED, I thought to myself...no way can I ride ANOTHER 90 tomorrow...
BUT, I stretched, did the jacuzzi, iced the knee, took a naproxen, ate yet another HUGE meal and promptly fell asleep at some ridiculously early hour.
One interesting note, we ride in a bike way today for about 8 miles...my only boring picture is of the bike way, but the picture of Peter was taken near the end of this day...still smiling, unbelievably.

No comments:

Post a Comment