Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Day 11: Gallup to Grants, NM, 66 miles

Another picture perfect New Mexico morning as we saddled up and rode out of Gallup. New adventures: we are on Historic Route 66 for most of the day today, instead of I-40. We cruised along with no wind for about 16 miles and then we had to get on the interstate for 11 miles, which had a very rough shoulder...as in NO shoulder just gravel, debris and cracked up pavement. HORRIBLE! (but brief) We then had some climbing to do to get up to the Continental Divide at 7,275 where we had a SAG stop and then got back on Route 66 the rest of the way to Grants, NM.
It was spectacular scenery, and mostly downhill but we encountered a vicious headwind. So those Irish boys Damian and Liam organized a double paceline with myself and California Peter, but then several other groups caught up and we had quite a group going of maybe 10 riders...which ran for maybe another 20 miles or so...we were all ready for a break so hit the Dairy Queen on the way into Grants.
My knee is doing well and today was the first day I felt as if I had a little power behind the pedals. Still taking it very easy, though and enjoying it. I am still having some trouble posting pictures. It seems I can only get 2 or 3 on there before it goes haywire. Tomorrow: Albuquerque
The Continental Divide

No comments:

Post a Comment