Saturday, May 30, 2015

Day 21: Dodge City to Great Bend, KS

While I was riding today I was thinking of clever things to say on the blog tonight but for the life of me I can hardly remember what I wanted to say because I am so tired. We started right out of the gate with a huge HOWLING headwind....at best a quartering headwind. It had to be a steady 20-25 and gusting higher. Sometimes I could barely keep from being blown off the road. The wind never let up all day. Plus it was COLD...46 degrees to start and when we arrived it was only 66. The wind made it feel much colder...this Arizona girl is wishing for some warm weather.
The road goes on and on and the way you know you are coming to a town is each town seems to have its own set of grain silos. So you see those way on the horizon but it seems to take forever to get there.
The other thing we saw today was every creek or river we came to was overflowing its banks. The rain has been incredible....in this we have been lucky: the rain continues to be in front of us...so far.
85 miles is a long way to go with that kind of wind...the whole group agreed at dinner it was a very tough day. Tomorrow we go on to McPherson, KS. It will be Day 8 of our 9 day stretch...Everyone is looking forward to the rest day on Tuesday in Abilene.

No comments:

Post a Comment