Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 9: Flagstaff to Holbrook: Back in the Saddle for 92 miles

It was a clear and cold start on I-40 out of Flagstaff, 39 degrees but sunny. I have to admit to being nervous about how my knee would do and my stomach was feeling queasy. I was determined to set my own comfortable pace...I had set off with the early group with my roommate Maggie behind me. First SAG stop was not for 40 miles, so we took our own after about an hour and looking back had a magnificent view of Flagstaff mountain covered in snow.
After the first SAG, I was happy to feel that the leg was not hurting and continued to spin a high gear and take my time. However, the not so good news was a stiff SE wind that was getting stronger and by early afternoon turned into a 20-25 mph crosswind that was gusting much higher. At times, it was all I could do to control the bike and keep from getting thrown into the rumble strip. We rode through Winslow and stopped at the "Standing on the corner" spot and rode right by the  La Posada hotel.
 At the 76 mile SAG I hooked up with Matt and Jim C. and we worked a small pace line to help with the wind, but it was a real slog. Everyone was shattered after today's ride and it was like Zombie-ville at the group dinner tonite. Amazingly my leg held up. I am not sure how another 90 plus day will go tomorrow but I feel encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment