Monday, May 25, 2015

Day 16: The Road to Tucumcari

Everyone was joking about the song "It's a Long Way to Tiperary" and substituting Tucumcari....
but it IS a long way to Tucumcari...109 miles and 3600 feet of climbing. The country as you leave Las Vegas, NM is wide open and spectacular, up on a huge plateau at about 6000 feet, plus some.
The landscape is much like a huge grassland and right now it is green with lots of clumps of blue and yellow flowers because of all the rain they have had. I even saw some Indian Painbrush today, but failed to get a picture. We then came off the plateau in a huge descent, again with fantastic views. Today we also climbed a hill known to the CrossRoaders as "The Wall"... straight up at about 7-9 percent grade. I wasn't sure I could do it with my knee the way it is but managed to grind my way up so I was pleased about that. Unfortunately, I developed a stomach ache after the second SAG so had a difficult last 30 miles or so. The pictures I am putting up tonite are the road leading out of Las Vegas, me standing about hallway down the big descent, and the bikes at the SAG, which apparently is a famous spot in the movie "Dead Man Walaking"..... On to Dalhart Texa tomorrow. Oh...I forgot to mention, we hit 1000 miles today...I will put that picture up if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment