Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day 4:116 Miles: Blythe to Wickenburg & Day 5: Wickenburg to Prescott

SO...a lot has happened in the last couple of days...I woke up feeling fine on the morning of the BIG day to Wickenburg. A little stiff but no other problems. Started out on the bike and noticed a pain on the inside of my left knee...???? for the record, I have never had any knee problems, EVER. So I thought it would pass.... not only did it not pass, it got much worse. I took a "bump" in the SAG wagon up a hill for about 10 miles then got out and continued riding. Managed to get to almost 90 mile mark before I had give in. ARRGH.
Arrived in Wickenburg pretty devastated. Read: Weeping.....swollen eyes, you get it.
So, Rest, ice, tape etc...Bruce came for dinner and suffered through another deluge...finally managed to find my stiff upper lip and "carry on." Ate some chocolate, which is always called for in these situations. 🍫
SO, today was the day the one and only fabulous Trilogy Bike Club was coming to ride up Yarnell Hill with me. I set out from the hotel in Wickenburg and met up with the gang in Congress. Malcolm, Kim, Jim, Gail, Christian and Donna ...I went up Yarnell slowly but okay. When I got there, the CrossRoads SAG support staff and riders were at the top having a grand time with the Trilogy bunch. 🚴🚴🚴🚴🚴
After that, Jim and Donna went back down and the rest of us continued on downhill with a big tailwind and a few sprinkles. CrossRoads staffers literally gave Gail and Christian the jackets off their backs as it was very chilly up there. Malcolm and Kim finally turned and made their way back up to Yarnell...Kim says it was a "bitch".... uphill and into the wind. A big shout out to all the Trilogy gang for coming and riding with me ....I love you all for that. So then it was Christian, Gail and me on to Prescott but I didn't make it. Managed 43 of the 59 miles and over 3000 feet of climbing when the ice pick pain started in my knee again. So they continued on into Prescott and I rode in in the SAG wagon. Decided it was time to go to a doctor so spent a few hours in the ER ...verdict: tendinitis of the quadriceps. Steroids, pain killers, anti- inflammatories, ice, and worst of all...REST...Read:
I won't be riding for a day or two to try to give myself the best chance of getting to Boston. 😥😥😥
I am trying to keep a positive outlook and all the encouraging and supportive emails and texts I have been receiving are greatly appreciated. Dinner tonight in Prescott with Gail and Bob (who was my dedicated and unswerving chauffeur to and from the hospital), and Christian and Jane...a lot of laughing which was good for the soul. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow, and I will let you all know how I am progressing with the knee. The weather forecast tomorrow is for rain and cold so if I had to have a day off the bike it is a good one to miss!



No comments:

Post a Comment