Sunday, May 24, 2015

Day 15: Santa Fe to Las Vegas, NM

Today started off bright and sunny and COLD. Apparently New Mexico has had the coldest May in over 20 years to hear the locals tell it, but I believe it..it was 42 this morning when we left the hotel.
BRRR. We climbed out of Santa Fe and because it was Sunday, there was barely any traffic. We spent all but 5 miles on the Santa Fe Trail,  climbed up over Glorieta Pass at 7570 feet, and had the most fabulous tailwind all day....which was fortunate because we had 73 miles and 4009 feet of climbing.
I find that my knee is holding up well except I have to take the climbing slowly. Gear down...be patient...(I can hear my friend Christian telling me...)
We arrived in good time today so I had time to jacuzzi and ice the knee before dinner. One of the challenges of this tour is eating. It is really difficult to get enough calories...my stomach just doesn't have the room! I am amazed at how much food I eat and I still wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach growling!
Tomorrow we have a long  day...106 miles to Tucumcari and yes, more climbing....
Updates on fellow riders: Joanne has been out for 3 days (counting the rest day) because of leg injuries but will try to ride halfway tomorrow. We are all cheering her on and hoping for the best.
On a sadder note, one of the older male riders, Jim McDermott, is leaving the tour. He took a fall early on and has not felt well since then. We all feel great sympathy as this is our worst fear...that we won't make it for one reason or another. The group has really bonded...now we are 17 from coast to coast.



No comments:

Post a Comment